Welcome to the new Association Life website! We’ve taken everything that you loved from our previous site and given it a fresh, new interface and made it easier than ever for you to participate. Now, more than ever: For Community Associations, it’s all here!
- Break the Cycle of your HOA or Condo Going Self-Managed to Full-Managed and Back Again - Do you notice at your HOA or Condo Community, or a neighboring property, where they seem to switch from full management to self-management and back again? Why does this happen, what are the costs of this change, and how can it be stopped? How do you break the cycle of your HOA or Condo going self-managed to full-managed and back again? A former owner of a large management company and reserve study company as well as the former CAI Connecticut Chapter President Walt Williamsen has seen many trends during his decades in the HOA and Condo Management Industry. One trend he has spotted is a pattern where boards vacillate between… Read More
- HOA 101: Rules & Regulations - For many people, homeowners’ associations (HOAs) have become synonymous with rules. While it’s true that part of association membership requires abiding by community guidelines, HOA life is about far more than following a long list of rules. Community guidelines and rules can help lay the foundation for a successful neighborhood, and as community association experts, we’re here to help answer the who, what, and why of HOA rules. What are HOA rules and regulations? When you purchase a home that’s part of a community association, you automatically become a member of the association and become responsible for following all its rules and regulations. The primary purpose of having community rules and standards… Read More
- A Easy Guide to Understanding Condo and HOA Documents - By reading your governing documents boards of directors and owners empower themselves and govern better
- FHA Approval Can Raise Property Values…Don’t let Condo Delinquencies Hurt - Despite all the lovely roads and fire trucks we encounter every day, people still like to complain that their taxes aren’t being put to good use. It would seem they’ve never heard of an FHA loan. These aren’t mortgages issued by the Federal Housing Authority, rather ones insured by them. This insurance enables the lender to offer terms with significantly reduced down-payments, sometimes as low as 3.5% of the purchase price. And while the program explicitly exists to aid home buyers and not investors, it can still provide a significant boost to property values. FHA approval is critical so don’t let condo delinquencies hurt you. If a building has FHA approval, the… Read More
- Tick-Tock: Exploring Your HOA Meeting Minutes - Over the past 40 years, Associa community managers have attended countless board meetings and reviewed many homeowner’s association (HOA) meeting minutes. In this blog, we explore what HOA meeting minutes are, their purpose, and best practices for taking and keeping good HOA minutes. What are HOA meeting minutes? HOA meeting minutes are an official record of the actions taken by board members at a board meeting. Meeting minutes should be brief, objective, and reflect the actions taken at a meeting–not a complete transcript of what was said and opinions that were expressed. What should be included in the HOA meeting minutes? If the board secretary isn’t taking minutes, he… Read More
Questions? Email the Webmaster!